Sunday, October 12, 2008

Cookin' with Gas.... FINALLY!

So, I'll be the first to admit, we (mostly Tim) are undeniable Craigslist junkies. We are always looking for a great deal/steal/story. So last week Tim saw 3 awesome gas stove/ranges on c-list he thought were good deals, so he quickly posted our stove (GE profile ceramic cooktop oven shown) just to see if he'd get any hits. He priced it high, and we got a call, some guys came and bought it in 3 minutes (I timed it 'cause I was home on my lunch break) and suddenly we were without stove. Tim called one of the ranges he'd been eyeing... no response, 2nd one... no response... 3rd one (you guessed) no response. Yet the ads were still on c-list for 2 days, there was no email or call to say they'd been sold. Bottom line, we were without oven/range. Mostly I find this ironic because there have always been range/stoves on c-list at any given time. This week was famine! Nothing even posted! So we have been really creative with cooking. We have learned how to make Mac-n-cheese in the microwave, we've used our electric frying pan daily, and even broke out our camp stove and hooked it up outside. It wasn't so much that we didn't know how to use alternate forms of cooking, but the irony of the situation. Tim has actually been inspired to be more of a minimalist, he is curious to see what else he can do without (should I be afraid?) or find alternate uses for things, multitaskers, etc. Anywhoo, it has been a funny lesson in well, creativity, patience, fun, food storage/ preparedness, and cooking. I am grateful today for my stove. I am also grateful to know that it isn't the end of the world to not have it (just leaves a gaping hole in the kitchen). Here is a short list off the top of my head of things I am grateful for (and wonder if we could or how we would do without...( in no particular order))
*Microwave
*Toaster
*cable tv (television altogether)
*diapers
*dishwasher
*extra freezer
*sippee cups
*high speed internet
*diapers
*paper plates
*mini-van w/ dvd player
*trampoline
you get the idea.

Here are pics of our new stove, newly installed, actually new in box from previous owner, so never been used before. I haven't cooked on it yet, but I'm excited for eggs in the morning!!


1 comment:

lundgrenville said...

Im a craigslist junkie.. Love it!! Looks like you guys got a great find. :)