Thursday, February 13, 2014

Painting in Olympic proportions!!

The Winter Olympics started in Sochi Russia this past Friday. I love the Olympics and love that it pushes athletes to the best of their ability.  In light of that, our most recent event has been painting,  We bought paint then we borrowed a tall ladder.  When I say tall, I mean
"falling off could not only mame me but could kill me" tall.  Our ceilings are 18 feet high in our foyer and living room, so needless to say, I spent a lot of time fighting my fear of falling from a 15 foot high, squeaky ladder to my misery.  The end result though, is definitely worth it!!  I'm really proud of myself (and Tim is too :)) at how I kept working up high for so long. I also changed out the super dusty/painted/old gold fixture ceiling fan for a new beautiful one, and the gold/glass/dusty/dated chandelier in the foyer for a more updated glowing and clean one.  I think I did a pretty good job.  Tim picked the paint colors, and they are perfect! I'll post project pictures as we go along, but this is what we did last weekend, and then finished up a little bit more this week because we were all home due to the winter storm and being snowed in.

 Me fighing my fear as the ladder is perched on the stairs and I'm painting 18 feet high, not to mention all the "cutting in" the edges against the crown molding, windows, doors and baseboards.  We did cutting instead of using tape, and though it took a little more time, but I think the edges turned out a lot sharper. It was a new technique to me, but I liked it. I've probably spent about 8 hours just cutting so far, and 15 hours rolling paint. Tim did all the white for the wainscoting and that was about  8 hours of cutting and rolling.  And an hour of manipulating the ladder around the fixtures, bridge and walls. Good times!
 Notice my smile? It's about 9:30 pm, and I've been up on the ladder for about 6 hours.
 This is the living room wall before we rolled, after I cut the trim.  Notice the fan (eww, yuck!)
Blue done! It makes the room so much brighter, and we haven't even done the white yet.
This is the new chandelier.  Tim assembled it, then walked me through taking down the old one and then lifting this one up and installing it.  I love this picture with the snow covered crate myrtle tree out the window.  It is all coming together so nicely!!  We hope to have the trim on the wainscoting done this week, get the TV mounted and some pictures on the wall. Yay! I love our house becoming our home!!

No comments: