Monday, August 31, 2009

"Call 911!"

   We had a crazy week last week.  On Wednesday night Tim and I were watching a silly show on ABC called "crash course" where people have to crash cars on a course to win $50k.  Silly idea, but people will do anything for money.  While we were watching, we heard an explosion outside.  A little history of explosions in our neighborhood... without going into detail, we had heard that same sound before when our neighbors house caught fire due to spontaneous combustion of fertilizer in their trash can next to their propane tank of their barbecue grill. Tim looked out our window to see flames 50 feet in the air.  He ran out of the house telling me "Call 911".  
   So, that makes us jumpy, of course you should be when you hear explosions.  So back to crash course,  we heard this huge bang, he and I looked at each other and ran out to the patio.  At that moment I saw a huge flame explode from the electrical transformer just on the other side of our street on Val Vista.  There were cars backed up on the street and the power was out all on the East side of the street.  Tim and I both ran out front, he saw a truck rolled over, called to me "Call 911!"  I called and was surprised they asked me my address.  Seriously? I was on our home phone.  I was annoyed and told them, "there is a truck upside down and it just caught fire, I don't know if anyone is hurt, Just get here!"  Here are some pictures of the blaze from our front lawn.  A drunk driver apparently plowed into a power pole, breaking the lines, causing the electrical to arc and therefore the transformer to explode (what I saw).  The lines were all down over the truck burning so the firefighters were not able to put water on it because it wasn't safe.  They had to let it burn.  When cars burn, they make big explosions with black smoke.  This was about 9:30 pm, and the neighborhood was gathered on our lawn to watch the show.
   Then on Thursday night Tim went out to take the trash to the can on the street.  I was in the kitchen when he came in and called "Call 911, there's a woman passed out on our yard!"  I was freakin' out!  I called and while I talked to the operator I glanced outside to see a woman laying in the yard trying to sit up.  Tim mouthed to me "tell them to step on it!"  I gave them all the info and while I was doing that she managed to get up, run to her car and drive off like a bullet!!  I grabbed the keys for Tim and he called 911 from the cell phone to follow her.  Freaky!! He thought she was dead, then when he touched her shoulder she sort of came too, he thinks she was totally tripped out on drugs.  He ended up intercepting the police officer and they drove through the neighborhood until they found her car.  He ID'd her and came home.  Freaky!! Needless to say, we didn't go to sleep for a few hours after that.  Tim has an amazing knack for knowing just what to do in situations like that.  I am glad he's not a street cop.  I really hope he can get hired on with ICE so he can have that occasionally, but mostly work in an office.  That way we are both happy.  
Friday I told Tim if he tells me to call 911 tonight we are moving.  No call.  We're safe.  For now...

3 comments:

Whitny said...

wow. What a week. That is so strange that you get all the weird stuff.

holly and matt said...

so did the dude die or what? you never said...

Shauna said...

I was wondering what happened to that pole. I saw that there had been a fire, but didn't know the details. Scary! I hope you don't have to call 911 anymore too!