Monday, January 26, 2009

We've got a fridge down, I repeat a fridge is down...

So, our fridge... um ... took a break. I thought it was down, out and ready to send us to the limit necessitating the purchase of a new fridge (I was thinking on the upside, water dispenser in the door would be handy...) but we were blessed with the accidental discovery of a manufacturer defect and the implication of a handy 5 year warranty that expires in less than 6 months (whew, skin of our teeth!). We were out of food on a Thursday night and and were planning on stocking up the old fridge when we noticed it wasn't cooling right. Of course on Friday, weekend we have to wait through the weekend! I was feeling much anxiety about this, but as usual Tim took it in stride and knew somehow it wouldn't be the end of the world (he balances me well in that regard) Rather than go and buy stuff, we waited a day and of course, still no repair on faith, so action took course and we called GE. They came out, said "it's $xxx.xx and let us know if this part doesn't do the job." Okay... ouch on the wallet, and we wait... so meanwhile the stuff we had in the fridge was, all casualties of room temperature (and well, age too apparently, four year old fridge, with four year old stuff I didn't know was in there, yes I'm guilty of procrastinating cleaning out the fridge on a regular basis, but hey, we might need cocktail sauce someday, and I didn't want to throw out a perfectly good half full bottle...) Fortunately we were the benefactors of a mini-fridge bequeathed to us by my bro and sis-in-law who skirted the "lower 48" for some real adventures, which helped us survive the 4 days without a working full size fridge. It was cute, and quiet and well, actually matched the other appliances in the kitchen, given it was just parked on the island... It fit 1gal milk, salad dressing, costco tub-o-sour cream (I'm a sour cream junkie, I admit it) and some other "refrigerate after opening" stuff I didn't want to sacrifice. Needless to say, we got to call GE again, because after the day we gave it, it still wasn't cooling. Next GE guy came and as he and Tim were sliding the fridge out a glass jar fell off the top (okay, I store stuff in wierd places, I didn't even know that was up there...) and it shattered! Not the glass, but the water line to the ice maker. So what? As Tim was gathering towels to clean up and mop (such a great multitasker) he and the repair guy heard hissing... from the coolant pipe! Covered under 5 year warranty, and with his verification, should get some money back for the part we bought the day before. Quick fix, a little solder and flame and voila! We have fridge working like new. Okay, this was so long, thanks to all of you who endured it, and I'll get a new post up later, that is cuter...
The big fridge with stuff that fit in the little lifesaver and cooler
The little life saver. Tim is now going to employ it in the garage for sodas with Sally, the Mustang, I mean.

No comments: