Thursday, January 30, 2014

The next Chapter... In Huntersville, NC

I feel like I'm ready for a new year, new goals, new house, new start.  I love to start fresh and I love the way Anne Shirley says it in Anne of Green Gables, "Tomorrow is fresh, with no mistakes in it!" ( Then, Marilla says, "Yet.")  I'm trying to focus on the "no mistakes" part and not the "yet" part! I admit, it is really
difficult though. I have control issues and perfectionist tendencies.  I also feel like I am more scatterbrained now than ever.  I don't know the best way to rewire my mind to not multitask so much.  I call it multitasking, but lately it's been more distracted-tasking.  I cover it by telling myself I'm working laterally, rather than vertically on my to do list (that sounds better, doesn't it?)I hope these are just symptoms of having moved three times in three years.  We are here to stay for the long haul!!


So, we are now in a new home and we have lots of ideas for how we want to make it ours, and how to try to do it in a budget. I feel like the budget is the more creative part of it.  Also, it was made with really good quality, styled circa 1992.  It is a process, not an event, and each day I'm trying to do something to make the house a Harper house.  We are slowly putting things on the walls, hopefully painting them soon too. Tim has so many amazing ideas, and he's so talented with creativity and economy.  His talents are so multifaceted, I never cease to be amazed by him. 

So, to lend myself some accountability, I want to write down a few things I want to work on this year.  I'm setting myself up for success by telling myself I want to work on these goals, rather than accomplish them. Because really, there isn't much I feel like I do that actually gets a real check-off. 

1. Be more present with my kids than last year.  This is really a work in progress.  I am getting better, but I know I can continue to improve.  I'm working on a game plan, and the first part of that is recognizing that I am easily distracted.  Digital distractions are my weakness.  I see the way the world is going with it's culture of digital dependence, and I need to teach my kids that people come first.  My example will be that Tim and my girls come first before other "stuff."  My hope is that by reigning in this weakness and continuing to work on it, other areas I struggle with will fall into order and become easier to manage.  That leads me to my next goal.

2. Cook.  Period.  I am so disinterested in cooking and meal planning and shopping and budgeting and being creative in the kitchen.  I'm in a rut that is really deep and I am praying for help to get out of it.  I know that this is one of the ways to really connect with my kids, to be able to afford the things we want because we'll be within a budget and that makes for a win-win.  I hope to be able to slowly work toward a decent meal plan that includes lots of vegetables and using some of our food storage that needs to be used up soon, and also to teach my kids that cooking can be a fun creative outlet. 

3. Documenting it.  I rotate from writing here on the blog to writing in my journal to using the video camera to phone camera and back again.  I don't think I can stick to one, so I just want to make sure I'm doing something to remember the good times, the hard times, and all the little stuff in between.  That is what life is made of, the little stuff in the middle of the big things.  Being more present will help me remember it all, and the lessons I learn and teach from those experiences.


Phew! I feel like those things are a lot to work on.  It's a journey, and I feel so blessed to be where I am, where I've been and excited for the adventures ahead.

Thanks for reading!

No comments: