Monday, December 17, 2012

Traditions

 We are getting ready for Christmas, doing what we can to keep/start our own family traditions. Tim is working so much that he is having a hard time getting into the Spirit of everything. His job is really, really stressful and takes a lot of time. I am finding that I really miss working, ( didn't see that coming ) and I'm in the process of getting my license here, so I can start working again at least 1 day a week.  I have so much self-actualization happening here as the at-home parent, away from family, and trying to tune out all the stuff that is fluff and and tune into what I really need to be doing and it is hard. Crud, it is hard. So, I am clinging to our traditions here this Christmas season. Not that they are amazing, but because they bond us to each other. They invite the spirit of family. Their actions say, "This is important because family is important."

The traditions that we are doing our best to keep alive include but are not limited to:
  • Christmas caroling as a family
  • breakfast with Santa
  • making candy together as a family
  • seeing Christmas lights as a family (hopefully we will do that soon)
  • serving as a family (finding others with a need and filling that somehow)
  • watching Christmas movies as a family
  • making Christmas music as a family (piano and violin)
And now we have new traditions we are adopting, and I don't know if you can technically call it a "tradition" if you've only done it once, but I believe that if it strengthens family unity, then it earns the title of tradition.



                  

We had a really fun time with the girls last Saturday morning at the Church where we had a yummy breakfast, and then a special visitor.  Emma and Audrey were ready for the conversation, but it took quite a bit of coaxing for Kennedy. I just love, love, love the stages and ages that my girls are at right now.  They are so sweet and innocent and want good things. They are such good girls.  I feel so blessed to have them in my life. I need to say that because lately I have been taking way too much for granted, and not looking an my basket of blessings that is overflowing.



I enjoyed this moment with Kennedy last week, after a really, really rough  morning, I was able to spend some good time talking with some dear friends I've made here, and then capture pictures of Kennedy doing this.  Through this activity she was able to help me see that life is in the moments right now. Not about tomorrow, or the to-do list, or what I didn't get done (I'm really good at focusing on what isn't checked off my list, ugh). So, thank you to my family for keeping my grounded, and my friends for being listening ears, for my kids that make me laugh, and my husband that makes me see what I need to focus on.

So, here's to raking together the proverbial pile of leaves and jumping into them, just because we want to and we can. May this week before Christmas be filled with activities that not only make you happy, but also bring peace and joy to those around you. Merry Christmas Eve Week.

No comments: