Monday, May 3, 2010

This week in the life of us

So, this week has been... different.  In a good way.  I have been on a health/wellness kick of late, and last Monday Tim and I have been doing a health cleanse.  It has been good for so many reasons.  First off, I was really nervous about it because I'm a snacky munchie person.  I am always eating.  Mostly sugar.  This cleanse has been about slashing our diet of sugar.  Added sugar, simple sugar, and even complex carbohydrates.  It has been a challenge, like I said, but I feel great.  Who knows, maybe it's placebo effect, but I've been feeling really good.  We have really had to think about what we are eating, and veggies are expensive! Especially when you eat so much.  No wonder so many people are unhealthy and overweight, it is super cheap and easy to eat poorly.  So, I want to brag about what Tim has been doing for us as far as cooking this week.  He really could open a restaurant.  Monday we ate grilled chicken with vegetables, no bbq sauce ( I know, Tim grilling without his sauce? CRAZY) but it was amazing.  Grilled veggies are awesome.  Breakfasts have been yummy omlettes packed with spinach and other veggies.  Lunch has been salads and lemon/olive oil dressing.  Tuesday grilled steak with grilled peppers, zuccini, eggplant, onions.  Wednesday grilled shrimp and asparagus. Thursday we had tuna lettuce wraps and huge cobb salad.  Friday was slow baked salmon with smashed cauliflower and green beans.  Saturday lettuce wrap tacos.  Sunday lunch was awesome chicken salad lettuce wraps and for dinner we had grilled chicken with bell peppers and green beans.  We have had some amazing food this week.  The kids have had all the same as us, only with rice added for filler.  I am so proud of Tim for doing so well with this, but he does everything so well.  I aspire to be as good a cook as him.  I acutally enjoyed cooking so much yesterday and today.  We planted some tomatoes in our garden (hopefully it's not too late) and we have harvested some peppers and eaten those this week.
   This diet has done wonders for my awareness of what I eat and what we feed our kids.  There is so much sugar and even added sugar in everything we eat.  Even peanut butter!  Added sugar. Seriously, peanuts are sweet ,don't add more. Also, this diet disallows carbohydrates over 50 per day.  That is a challenge.  I'm amazed though, how much reading labels makes a difference.  I have done research online for stuff too, and if nothing else from this cleanse, I have been reawakened to awareness about what I put in my body.  It has been a good lesson for my kids too.  We've been feeling pretty good, and I'm excited for this next week on the diet.  It is 2 full weeks then slowly start to add fruits and other complex carbs.  I have to admit, I am really excited to enjoy some homemade bread after next week, and some good chocolate chip oatmeal cookies!

On a spiritual note, I have been feeling aware of my spiritual wellness too.  Last week I had an opportunity to fast for my family and I did.  It felt good to put my temporal needs aside as I seek for spiritual strength.  That was a good kickoff for my cleanse.  This has been a spiritually uplifting experience this far too.  I am not very connected to the food I eat because Tim is so great about cooking and I thought I had so little time between coming home from work and bedtime.  I feel like I've been shaken awake.  I do enjoy cooking, as long as we have planned what to eat, and I feel so much healthier physically and spiritually.  I feel like it's helped me to remember what matters most and what's most important when it comes to how I spend my time and energy.

I have set some goals for myself and I am going to give it a few weeks for them to be set in place and be realized, so I'll keep updated here.

No comments: