Monday, March 2, 2009

Your comments, please...



Lets all face it, times are tight, the market's tanked and I just want to know what you have cut out that hurt, but then really, it didn't. You know, like ripping off a band-aid; you really don't want to do it initially, you get through the sting of it and find out the skin underneath really needed to breathe anyway. So, have you ditched the DVR, sliced the Cell phone, more home cooked and less take out, less lessons for the kiddos, more veggies from the garden, more stretching the dollar while tightening the purse strings? How have you done it, 'cause we're all doing it. Answer me these questions, be honest:
  1. What have you given up? and
  2. Do you really miss it?
Question for the future... What would you do with $100? I want creativity with this one.

My answers:
We have really given up buying stuff for the house. We used to go get little things here and there for the house to make it more "homey" or more organized. Over the last 6 months we have hauled out about 4 truck loads of "homey organization" crap and it feels GREAT! Less is more. We've planted a garden and it is like a growing work of art, as well as a work in progress. We've decided to use our tax rebate to stock up on food storage and peace of mind in that regard. We are looking at the way we spent money and it was the same with time, mostly budgeted, but with holes here and there. We are being more careful with both, and it has brought a new sense of awareness of how much we spent on unimportant things, or at least now they are unimportant. I'm going to bet that we were all financially overweight and can stand to lose a few excessive habits, and get fiscally fit. Share how to do it and how you feel about it. By no means is this to be a downer question, but positive the-glass-is-half-full question. Thanks

3 comments:

Christina said...

Well, since we have been pinching pennies for the last two years (moving every six months gets pricy) we really haven't had to change much, but when we started the moving fiasco, I started making my own bread and when possible I plant food in pots that can be transported. We only go out to eat on special occassions and we are finding more and more ways to spend time together that is FREE. We go for walks and to the playground and are lucky enough right now to have outdoor tennis and racketball courts so we go do that for fun. Red box makes date night cheep too.

Natalie said...

We've been in the same, fiscally-tight boat for four years now (gotta love grad school), so we haven't really ever had extra money, but I'm using coupons now and laying off the crafts. I use digital scrapbooking products that are free online, and that saves me a bundle. Also, when I sew clothes for the girls, I've been using my not-so-favorite items for fabric instead of buying new. I agree with Christina; Red Box is fantastic! If I had $100 to spend on me, I'd go for a session of microdermabrasion and spend the rest on some new nail polish. :)

lundgrenville said...

Okay, so here's the two cents I have...the only two cents I own. lol
For us, we have had to pinch...with everything.
We have never had cable since we have been married, We have the cheapest internet, low van payment...and cheap cell phones. Other than that, there isnt much to cut back on...but we need to cut back on something...even if it means living off of Mac n Cheese or Ramen Noodles.
Hope this helps
Oh, the tax money is going to pay off bills...yay!