Saturday, December 13, 2008

Ticking down to Christmas

I love Christmas, when I'm on schedule. I wasn't so much earlier this week, then I got thrown a curve ball by getting sick with icky throat (lost my voice). I think my schedule for my Christmas preparation has been more realistic this year than ever before, maybe it's the realization of what is really important, what really isn't and where to spend my time accordingly. I am a type of person that has to self actualize. I think that means that when I want to do something, I have to piece it out to the point that it is baby steps to get to the end result, then getting there in my mind so I can actually validate whether my plan is worth carrying out. I don't know if that makes sense, but to those of you with more kids than adults in your house, and capital A type personalities, it probably does.
I was fortunate early on this season to have a clarity moment. I guess to avoid the specifics, I was in a situation where I witnessed some friends of mine have... grumpy (the best word I can think of) attitudes about the whole family aspect of Christmas. I decided I didn't want to waste my energy being that way, and I didn't know I needed to make that choice (self-actualization again) and it has been so great. I filled my Christmas "to-do" list with activities with my kiddos and my hubby and it has been great. We went to a Christmas boutique and it was so fun to be with my girls looking at all the little homemade trinkets and crafts I remember wanting to buy or make when I was a kid. We got the Christmas tree up together, I was able to get my Christmas cards out (haven't done that since 2004) and due to budget cuts in the...well budget, worked right through the shopping/gift making list. I had a patient today at work tell me she is totally ready for Christmas, and has been for a week. I was amazed, and also a little disappointed in her attitude. She said all her decor is up, presents wrapped, nothing left to do at all. I thought to myself, Heck, if I were on that schedule (mind you her 2 children are adults and have teenage kids themselves) I would spend my time with friends, baking, serving others, making up things to do to help others, baking, and eating my baked goods. I wasn't feeling jealous of her "readiness" for Christmas, but sort of bothered by her "I've done what I need to now I'll sit on my laurels" attitude. I am having such a great December, and now we start the "12 days of Christmas" tomorrow, and Emma is so excited for activities. She definitely keeps us on our toes to stay ahead of her. That is enough for my cyberwandering, I must sleep now, tomorrow is our 7th annual Candy making day with my in-laws and It is always super sweet.

2 comments:

Jill said...

I'm curious about your "12 days of Christmas". What do you do? What started the tradition? What is your favorite part? We're trying to add some traditions to our celebration and I'm up for all the suggestions there are. Thanks!

Ben said...

Thanks for the Christmas card. My wife is a blogger too. You can check out our family blog janessaben.blogspot.com