Monday, October 12, 2009

Time Out For Women-Tune into Jesus


I had the chance to go to Time Out For Women Friday and Saturday with some friends of mine, and it was just what I needed.  I have been in sort of a spiritual drought for the last while and it was just the refresher I needed.  I feel renewed and recommitted to the things "I know" and am so glad I went.  I'll share my own "take away" message from all the speakers rolled up into one
1.  Abundance.  My mom has always tried to teach me to have an abundance mentality.  I never really understood what that really meant.  I always thought it just meant be grateful.  One speaker Emily Freeman talked about the parable of the loaves and the fishes.  She said to have abundance we need to find out what we have to give, like the apostles found the 5 loaves and 2 fishes.  Then, we need to give it all.  The apostles didn't just give the Savior 1 1/2 fishes and 4 1/2 loaves; they gave Him everything they had and for me that translated to myself.  I like to say I give all in my fast offering, or tithing, or my calling, but that is not all, I must give my time, my energy, my prayers; give myself.  After that, we need to be content and the abundance will come.  Not necessarily by physical means, but Christ will come into my life, lift my load and I will have abundance.  More to give, more to share, more to receive and more to be happy.
2. I am a good parent and I must practice laughing.  Laugh at myself, laugh at my mistakes, laugh at my successes, my kiddos, my trials, and it will help me be better.  Also, something worth doing is worth doing badly.  That sounds totally wrong, but it is true!  If we did everything perfectly the first time (or even well) where is the growth in that?  Some things are worth doing badly a lot if it means I am improving each time I do it.  Scripture study, service, prayer, parenting, loving my neighbor, and on and on.
3.  Be grateful for the challenges, struggles, trials I am given.  If it were not for them, where would I grow?  How would I know how strong I can be if I am not tested?  I'm not expected to be perfect, but I am expected to try (see 2 above).
The music was by Jenny Oaks Baker and Kenneth Cope.  I was laughing and crying and was just feeling the Spirit so strongly.  Sweet Jenny Baker played the violin with the National Symphony for 7 years and when she was expecting her 4th child she felt strongly she needed to resign and be home with her children.  She has an amazing talent and I felt so inspired by her and have set a goal to play my violin more, because I know it is an amazing talent I've been blessed with.  The last song sung by Kenneth was "Come to Jesus" which was sung at Tim's brother's funeral and as soon as I heard the first few bars I knew the song and I physically started sobbing in my chair and it felt so good to feel so deeply.  I believe Kenneth Cope is fulfilling his mission on earth to write human songs that are able to communicate feelings that cannot be spoken.

Here is the link to listen on YouTube.  Get a kleenex.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dq7IwPj2-kY#

This is a pic of Kenneth Cope performing "Broken" which was another AMAZING song.
Here's the link.  You'll love it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAjkRkF2yEs&feature=related

Here is a poem read by Jonh Bytheway which I actually have as a needlepoint in my girls bathroom, called the Weaver.  They are truly words to live by.

1 comment:

hey, jode said...

Thank you for the thoughtful music, Kellie!